NHS Continuing healthcare

Continuing healthcare page

If you need information or documents from these pages in another language or in a different format please email hwlhccg.enquiries@nhs.net.

What is Continuing Healthcare?

NHS continuing healthcare is the name given to a package of care that is arranged and funded solely by the NHS for individuals outside of hospital who have ongoing healthcare needs. You can receive NHS continuing healthcare in any setting, including your own home or in a care home. NHS continuing healthcare is free, unlike support provided by local authorities for which a financial charge may be made depending on your income and savings.

The process to determine eligibility is nationally defined and we follow a standard process to determine if an individual is eligible.

Who is eligible for NHS Funded Nursing Care?

You should receive NHS funded nursing care if

  • you are resident within a care home that is registered to provide nursing care; and
  • you do not qualify for NHS continuing healthcare but have been assessed as requiring the services of a registered nurse.

In all cases individuals should be considered for eligibility for NHS continuing healthcare before a decision is reached about the need for NHS funded nursing care. Consequently most individuals will not need to have a separate assessment for NHS funded nursing care if they have already had a full multidisciplinary assessment for NHS continuing health care, as this process will give sufficient information to judge the need for NHS funded nursing care. However, if an assessment is needed, please see below for how to request one.

If you are not happy with the decision regarding NHS funded nursing care, you can ask for the decision to be reviewed and/or use our Complaints procedure.

Download our Local Resolution Review process.

NHS Funded Nursing Care

By law, local authorities cannot provide registered nursing care. For individuals in care homes with nursing, registered nurses are usually employed by the care home itself and, in order to fund their nursing care, the NHS makes a payment direct to the care home. This is called 'NHS Funded Nursing Care' and is a standard rate contribution towards the cost of providing registered nursing care to those individuals who are eligible.

Registered nursing care can involve many different aspects of care. It can include direct nursing tasks as well as the planning, supervision and monitoring of nursing and healthcare tasks to meet your needs.

How to request an assessment

If you think that you or a member of your family may be eligible for an assessment, you can request a professional involved in the person’s care to complete the first stage of the assessment, which is called the Checklist.  This can be a nurse, doctor, or other qualified healthcare professional, or a social care professional, and they should have knowledge of the person and their care.

If you are being discharged from hospital, the Discharge Planning Team can complete a Checklist when you are medically fit to be discharged. If you are leaving a period of rehabilitation such as an Intermediate Care placement, you may also be assessed using the Checklist when you are medically fit to go home.

If a person is suffering from a terminal illness and entering the final stage of their illness, then they can be assessed using a Fast-Track Assessment Tool.  This can only be completed by a medical professional who has knowledge of the person and their care.

What happens next?

If the checklist process indicates that it is appropriate, a full Continuing Health Care assessment is made, using the Decision Support Tool, by a multidisciplinary team of professionals.

Where else can I get information?

East Sussex County Council can assist with a person’s social care  needs, for example if they need help with day-to-day tasks.

  • The Department of Work and Pensions lists benefits available  
  • Voluntary sector organisations such as The Fed and Independent Lives work to support people living with a health condition to live independently
  • Patient Transport Service can support people who need help getting to hospital appointments due to a health condition.
  • Age UK
  • Spinal Injuries Association
  • Alzheimer's Society

Freedom of Information Requests and Complaints

Please follow the links to send us a complaint, comment or compliment, or to request information under the Freedom of Information Act.



Contact us

Continuing Healthcare Team   
First Floor
Hampden Park Health Centre
12 Brodrick Close
BN22 9NQ  

T: 01323 466120  
F: 01323 466149  

Email: ASC.CHCDutyteam@eastsussex.gov.uk